Tuesday, March 4, 2008


Hi Cindy,

I'm going to post a few of the more interesting pictures on my computer throughout this post. First up to keep it cat and spinning related is a picture DH took last month. Teddy had been chillin' on the chair and Margi decided she wanted up on it too. Instead of running off like most cats would, Teddy just sat there with her. We've got another picture of them both posing, looking directly into the camera but it doesn't show the wheel as well. The chair is one I found in the alley about 4 years ago with one arm broken off. I took the other one off and painted it with the crackle finish and covered it with outdoor varnish. It sat on our patio for a couple of years until I decided it would make a great spinning chair. I recovered the seat with a felted sweater and used another piece to make the back rest. I love it and so do the cats.

I don't know when but I think that I will probably be headed back that way sometime in the next few months. I got a call from my folks on Sunday, one of those "We didn't want to alarm you until we knew more" phone calls. Hate those! The upshot is that two small spots have been found in my dad's lungs. He had a CT scan and a PET scan and in the next week or so he'll have a biopsy on them. The PET scan showed hot in the two spots and slightly in the nearby lymph nodes. I offered to head back for that but my folks didn't want me to spend the extra $ for a short notice flight. My cousin S has offered to go along and sit with Mom during the procedure.

I was to the doctor myself last week. I've had itching just above my knee (no rash) off and on for about 3 months. Additionally I've woken up about half a dozen times with the whole thigh burning and then the next moring it is numb like it is asleep. It's not debilitating, just very annoying. The doctor knew what it was immediately, meralgia paresthetica or a pinched nerve in the hip area. She offered 3 options: do nothing and it may resolve itself in a few months or years; see a neurologist; or try an antiseizure drug. I've opted for #3 so I've been trying to adjust to that for 5 days now, seem to be working I guess.
I've got a training class in a few minutes so I'll close this off with a word about the rest of the pictures. The house pictures are the same house from different sides. They were taken at Mineral Park, AZ, north of Kingman, in about 1998. Yes, that's me in the second one. The final picture is the remains of a smelter furnace at the Grand Gulch Mine. It is located north of the Grand Canyon in the AZ Strip area. We inventoried that area in 1996. It is located about 80 miles south of St. George, UT. We stayed in a BLM cabin for a week and had to carry extra gas along. We didn't see anyone the entire week we were there.
I'll let you know when I'm going to be back that way. I'd love to hangout with you a day like we did last year, hopefully it won't be quite so sad a trip back there though. Later, A


Cindy said...

Sorry, I didn't respond sooner but have been keeping you & your folks in my thoughts and thinking positively and with great compassion for where you are.

Speaking of where you are, excellent post! I have some to make but have been getting ready for various teaching obligations. This AM, I talk to 40something 1st graders about volcanoes!

Alene said...

First graders and volcanoes, how fun!

Dad saw the cardiologist on Wed and the stress test didn't go the greatest. He's getting a heart catherization this coming Tuesday and that may include angioplasty and/or a stent. It will be a six week recovery from that before he can have other surgery. I'll probably come for that and stay for a week or more. That's one good thing about the state, I have plenty of leave that I can use for this and they allow a full week of sick time to be used for each family member (each year).