Saturday, August 11, 2007

Too much to write about



Hi Cindy!

Today has been a busy day and I've got too much to write about so I'll probably babble on for quite a while.

I'm going to start with a FO. After about 5 weeks knitting on the second sock I finally finished kitchnering the toe this afternoon. The bottom one is the first one I finished back before the 4th and it has been lonely ever since. It hung out in my sock drawer but I think the pairs taunted it since it was a single. Now it is happily united with its match. As you can see they aren't exactly identical. The color on the leg of the first one is more vibrant than the rest of the yarn. I still have a ball about an inch and a half in diameter left, maybe booties for L's baby.

The "Bill the Lizard" roving duo I bought from the Lime and Violet store arrived on the door step today. It is awesome and I can't wait to start on it. The fiber fiend had to check it out right away. She was asleep under the couch cover when I took the first picture of it. It didn't take long for her to wake up and check it out, i.e. try to eat it. She is nothing if not predictable. It seemed to pass her taste test. She was pretty bummed when I took it away to hide it in the fiber safe (closet).





I have a confession to make. DH and I have gotten really bad at eating veggies. Since we work so close to each other we eat lunch together almost every day. And that means eating out at one of the restaurants around us. Because we tend to eat large lunches we typically don't have regular sit-down dinners at home in the evening, just snack on something when we get home. One of the first thing lost in that was the fruits and veggies.

Two weeks ago there was an article in the local paper about a food co-op that started up last fall. It isn't a big co-op like we used to have with Gentle Strength but instead is a food buying collective. It runs on a two week cycle with pickup every other Saturday. It is about half fruits and half veggies. Every month or so they have other things you can order; for next time it was teas and spices. It is a week by week thing, you don't have to commit to a long contract like some of the other veggie co-ops around. M&B belong to one that does organics but they're locked into every week for several months. This one is not organics, they buy from a regular fruit and veggie supplier for the local grocery stores. I signed up for this week's distribution without telling DH. I knew he wouldn't be too keen on it if I talked about it ahead of time. I knew that at least for myself I needed to add some fresh veggies.

DH debated going with me this morning to pick it up but I think he's glad he did. He was impressed with the haul and is even thinking about volunteering next time to help divide up the items beforehand. We took our cooler chest and it was packed. You got two round laundry baskets of stuff, one of veggies and one of fruits. We will be hard pressed to eat everything by the time the next one rolls around. We ended up with a bunch of spinach, two heads of romaine, two heads of cauliflower, a cabbage, broccoli, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and snow peas. For the fruits we got a cantaloupe, peaches, plums, apples, strawberries, pears and grapes. As a "luxury" item they included two lychee. I've had them canned before but a fresh one is sublime. I'm saving the other one for another day. On our way home we stopped at the hispanic market and got cilantro, jalapenos and a couple of habenero peppers to make pico de gallo. It is pretty spicy but very yummy. We've also already had stir-fry with some of the items and I've eaten a couple of pieces of fruit. We are definitely happy about it and will do it again. DH plans on taking any extras to the zendo if they want it and he's also planning that one Saturday when we do it we'll then head up to his folks to share it with them. He told them about it this afternoon and his mom was very interested.

Guess I've run on long enough. I've got a couple of other things to babble about but I'll leave that till tomorrow. Hint: think how we might have traumatized our felines this week.

Take care, A

No comments: